Change from temp. to child of Japanese in result of recognition


The person who is recognized by Japanese national during his/her temporary visit can apply for change visa to child of Japanese national. However, the applicant must have the special reason to change the visa, because application for certificate of eligibility is proper way to obtain the visa.


Points for child of Japanese national

People who fulfill either of the following:

(1)A biological child who was born after their father or mother had already held Japanese citizenship

(2)In the case the father passed away before the birth of the child: A biological child of a person who had already held Japanese citizenship before the father passed away

*Even cases where the Japanese parents gave up their citizenship after birth they may fulfill this requirement for residency. Even cases where the child is not born in Japan, it does not affect the acquisition of visa qualifications. Furthermore, illegitimacy does not affect acquisition of visa qualifications.

The immigration bureau is aware of the fact that there are also a number of disguised marriages within the applications to gain visa as a spouse or child of a Japanese national and are very strict about this in the inspection process. Even if the marriage is lawful and sincere, if there are any mistakes made on the submitted documents, there is a chance that you may not be able to acquire, extend or change your visa status to “Spouse of a Permanent Resident.”


Necessary documents

<Applicant’s necessary documents>

Application form for changing visa


Explanation letter

ID picture(4cm x 3cm) , 1 piece

※No background, cap or hat, and taken within 3 months

 If the applicant’s term of visa is longer than 3 months

   Residence card

   Certificate of residence

Family registration of one’s Japanese parent (Child’s name must be printed on registration)

Birth certificate

Translation of birth certificate

<Parent’s necessary documents>

Guarantee letter

Certificate of residence

 In case the parent has foreign nationality

  Birth certificate

  Translation of birth certificate

      Passport copy

  Residence card copy

Certificate of being imposed residential tax

Certificate of paying residential tax

  For parent doing one’s own business

  Documents proving your business

  Copy of tax return

  Copy of business permission

 For parent being an employee

  Employment certificate

  Tax certificate slip

Popular contents