We assist the partner living in Japan with registering the marriage in the city hall. This is not a virtual or online wedding.

If a foreign national whose fiancé is Japanese or a foreign resident with an appropriate visa residing in Japan, then they can marry through Japanese law.

This is only accepted in certain city halls in Japan. Long distance marriage is most helpful right now for those in long distance relationships and are not able to pursue their marriage due to the pandemic.

We are here to help you push through with your marriage.

Here are some of the basic required documents. However, please not that documents may differ because of age, nationality, and civil status.

  1. Original valid passport
  2. Birth Certificate
  3. Certificate of Single

*All needs to have a Japanese translation if in a foreign language. We can translate for documents in English.


  1. Contract with Wakai International Law Firm
  2. We provide complete checklist accordingly
  3. Collect all the required documents
  4. We prepare the translation
  5. Once complete, we set a schedule to go to the city hall.
  6. Here is where it gets tricky…
    1. Once we are at the city hall, they will examine the papers. From here, there are 2 things that can happen – they can either decide to accept it already OR if they cannot decide, they will forward the documents to the Legal Affairs Bureau.
    2. If accepted, city hall may release Certificate of Acceptance on the same day or ask for some time and you can pick it up another day.
    3. If not accepted, Legal Affairs Bureau will call to schedule an interview. Then once interview is done, we wait for the result if accepted or not.

If you would like our assistance for long distance marriage, please call us at 03-5937-6345. Thank you!

Popular contents