If you would like to summon a person from overseas to live or work long-term in Japan, you must first apply for issuance of a Certificate of Eligibility. People coming to Japan for purposes such as sightseeing, business meetings, or to visit family are qualified for a short-term visa application, are not able to use the application of issuance of the Certificate of Eligibility.
The application of issuance of the Certificate of Eligibility for Resident Status is often used for the following purposes.
- To summon applicant’s spouse from overseas to live in Japan together
- To summon applicant’s child from overseas to live in Japan together
- To summon a person from overseas to be employed by applicant in Japan.
Image of procedure
In order to enter Japan, foreigners must go to an overseas agency (Japanese Embassy or Consulate) to have a landing permission issued based on the established conditions. The landing permission must be printed in a valid passport which you must show to the immigration officer at the airport you enter through and receive a seal for landing permission.
Flow of procedure
- Applicant, family living in Japan, employer or immigration lawyer applies for certificate of eligibility to the nearest immigration bureau of scheduled address.
- If the application is permitted, certificate of eligibility will be issued. It takes about 1 to 3 months until the applicant gets the result.
- Send the certificate of eligibility to applicant abroad.
- Applicant goes to Japan embassy to apply his/her visa with eligibility.
- The visa will be issued in about 1 week, at most 1 month.