The Difference Between Certificate of Eligibility and Visa


When foreigners want to go to Japan, some need visa to enter, while other countries such as South Korea, United States, etc. do not.

If your only purpose in Japan is to tour around, then you only need to apply for a visa. The number of days you are permitted to stay in Japan with a temporary visitor visa can be 15 days, 30 days, or 90 days. Depending on your application and the Japan Embassy or Consulate decides to give you.

However, for those who intend to stay in Japan for a long period of time (6 months or more), they require a certificate of eligibility first in order to apply for a certain visa.

Certificate of eligibility is necessary for spouse, child, or parent because they want to live in Japan with their family. It could also be for an employee who wants to work in Japan. Those who have a Japanese spouse, foreign spouse with a status of residence in Japan, or employer can apply for their eligibility at their nearest immigration.

Applying for certificate of eligibility requires several documents and a well-written explanation letter. There are also qualifications to meet before you can apply for the eligibility, so it is best to consult and get assistance from an expert like our Gyoseishoshi.

Once approved and you have the copy of the eligibility, send it to the applicant so they can begin to apply their visa from the foreign country. The visa to apply is the one indicated in the certificate of eligibility.

If you have left a loved one behind and want to apply for their certificate of eligibility, call us at 03-5937-6345. We can help you get the process started.

Popular contents